FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why not AA 787-8 service DCA-LAX ?
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2021, 5:32 pm
flyer703

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I simply dont think its feasible from a runway length perspective. MTOW on 787 is 228 tons - of which 100 tons is fuel. Even if you loaded 50% fuel but had a full passenger load, you're at 178 tons or 356,000 pounds. The numbers I see put a 787 at least 6000 feet of runway at flaps 15. Add some heat, and its going to get very close to DCA's limit on length (7169 feet).

I can think of three other problems: #1 DCA's gates are not designed for widebody aircraft. With a 787 you would lose two gates for 787 ops (the gate for the 787 and an adjacent gate). #2 I dont think DCA is set to use LD4 containers which are used on 787s. #3 I think it would be a tough call to maneuver a 787 around DCA's taxiways.
Agreed, but we're not talking about anything close to the max B788 range so it could go out with minimal fuel (really doubt you would need 50% fuel to get to LAX). As I said, DL regularly operated a B767 out of/into DCA and the 787 is of similar size but a lot more efficient - and as you said 6000' on a 7169' 1/19 runway works. Also agree that ops/gate size would be an issue but AA is going to get increased capacity in the north (C) pier with the movement of Eagle flights to the new terminal - I saw E175's in there today which always used to operate out of the main gates so there is going to be additional capacity in the old C concourse. Don't agree with you on #3 especially if they used a gate on the very end of the C pier and didn't have to taxi in the alleys.