FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:14 pm
bluedemon211

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Yeah, my wife was really upset that they just kept droning on about this "bites and sips, replace your mask" nonsense. As the Mayo Clinic has stated, "every time you touch your mask or reposition it, you increase the risk of transmission". She felt that they are now treating passengers like children, insulting our intelligence.
But the cocky attitude of the purser, capriciously stating, "I don't want to ruin anyone's day", while saying that he would quickly toss anyone for non-compliance, really irked my wife since non-compliance, in this case, involves the time interval between taking a bite or a sip and replacing your mask, which is wide-open for arbitrary enforcement abuse.
That's the aspect that really bothers me. EVERY expert acknowledges the more you touch and adjust your mask, the higher the risk of transmission. I don't want to see a confrontation on the plane, but I feel it is coming with this approach. Again, the incentive to completely pass on all food is really high. Maybe I'll just bring a sippy straw and drink my bloody mary without ever taking off my mask