FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - need advice/critique on my Peru visit
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:38 pm
HaleiwaFlyer
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Hi all, looking at visiting Peru for the first time in late May/early June and need some advice. The travelers will be me, my husband (we are fit and in our 40s) and my 10 year-old daughter (great traveler but not as athletic). We live at sea level so the altitude concerns me, especially for my daughter. I don't see her doing really strenuous hiking.

Right now I'm looking at:
5/21 arrive late at night in Lima. Overnight at the Holiday Inn at the airport.
5/22 fly to Cusco and stay at the Tambo del Inka resort in the Sacred Valley
5/23 Tambo
5/24 Tambo
5/25 train to Machu Picchu, stay at the Jaya suites
5/26 visit Machu Picchu, stay at the Jaya suites
5/27 train to Cusco, and stay at the JW Marriott
5/28 Cusco/JW Marriott
5/29 fly back to Lima and stay at the JW Marriott Miraflores
5/30 Lima/JW Marriott
5/31 Lima/JW Marriott
6/1 fly back and the plane leaves at 12:45am

I'm starting to feel that this is a bit rushed and am considering tacking a day onto Cusco and either Lima or the Tambo. Any opinions? We all love traveling and sightseeing but since my daughter was born we're leisurely travelers; we like to tour for 4-5 hours then relax at the hotel or just walk around the town and people watch. We won't be cramming ever single thing into every day.

Thanks!

Definitely do-able, but the first trip is great to check out places that you like and don't like. There is just so much to do in Peru and each city, and there won't be enough time for everything. As for altitude sickness, consult with the pediatrician/physician for possible medications and tips/hints.

For the Cusco flights, take the early flights, as delays/cancellations may occur in the afternoon due to weather.

Make sure you reserve your tickets to Machu Picchu early ( book on the government site), and chose the hike you would like to do: Machu Picchu Ruins + Huayana Picchu (think of the photos of the Mt. top, looking down on the ruins) vs Macchu Picchu Mountain. Plan to choose only one mountain and the ruins. Also plan to pick up tickets before the bus ride up from Aqua Caliente to the ruins, and plan on purchasing tickets for the bus rides ahead.

Tambo del Inka is awesome, and one of my favorite resorts. You can spend a lot of time at Sacred Valley exploring the different ruins. Sacsayhuaman has lots of ruins around it too, don't miss out on the natural slide in the backside.

Have a great trip.