FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:48 am
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Hi all! Thanks in advance for your advice & thoughts.

I am considering ORD-SAN on a Saturday in early May. As a Silver, I am wondering if it worth buying up to regular economy from basic for a shot at First Class.

I ask because this is the last departure that leaves ~8pm and arrives ~10pm.

Looking at the seatmap now, 18/20 F seats are unoccupied. Looking at the seat map for next Saturday (9 days from today) for the same timed flight also shows 18/20 seats unoccupied.

Also, most, if not all, E+ seats are unoccupied on both flights. Is this an indication of a light elite load? I am not certain whether higher tiers at UA get E+ at time of ticketing.
A month out is too far for reliable predictions, but if you see the same flight has consistently light loads now, it is a good sign. Try checking this weekend's flight status.

Gold and higher have E+ access at booking. From my observation, you could roughly assume 80% of occupied seats in E+ will have passengers ranking ahead of you for upgrade.

Bookings climb most quickly in the final two weeks.

What is the price differential BE to regular? If, say, it is $15, maybe worth the gamble.