FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:19 am
GBOAC

Originally Posted by HB7
Agreed - I'm also in the same boat and have been itching for any travel to open up since Feb - yet nothing. We will be looking at now a full half-year of flying not even allowed as it stands currently, and who knows when things will open up even for short haul EU destinations - so how can anyone earn status?

I think it is incredibly unfair because while some short-haul and the US/Middle East may open up in the next few months, it is very unlikely Asia/Australia/NZ/Africa/South America will open up till sometime in 2022. How is it fair that we have to earn 75% of the required tier points to requalify with none of those options available and at best half a year to earn anything?
Quite agree with everything here. Short of BA doing an individual analysis of everyone's common routings and a judgement on whether they are disrupted, it would be very unfair to assume that everyone can and has the need to fly just because some destinations are opening up.

I really think going forward BA should have a 25-50% reduction to thresholds on ALL current status holders (at their existing status), and a rolling blanket extension when more than that percentage of the year are disrupted (and by disrupted I mean any limits compared to the pre-COVID route network not operating (minus those routes announced as axed)). As I have said a few times before, someone who regularly travels to destination X will not just go to destination Y with the same frequency just because one destination is open and the other is not!

I also think that given the potential additional costs of travel, e.g. £200-£400 covid tests for a return trip, some thought needs to be given to tweaking tier thresholds. If I am having to pay for COVID testing, I am less likely/able to upgrade a cabin (be it personal, or for work as we operate with fixed travel budgets which may not be adjusted to reflct testing costs). This is not due to my willingness, but changes in costs of travel.