FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHG - how evil are you to devalue overnight during the pandemic!
Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:59 am
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I don't think it's a glitch. But if I'm wrong (and I hope I am), surely once the holiday weekend is over, they should correct it quickly, or at least put out a statement if the fix will take time. I'd say if we don't hear anything by the end of Tuesday, consider this intentional.

But MissVacation's post highlights something. Once there's no official award chart, then travel companies feel they don't have anything to announce. It's not a devaluation, it's just normal price adjustments, right? But that lets them off the hook too easily in that they can make these widespread and significant price increases with no notice at all. Most travel companies have (or used to have) a practice of giving a month or so warning to give their loyal members a chance to book at the old rates. But not IHG, not anymore.

And usually when a no-warning devaluation occurs, the blogs will drag them over the coals for it. And while this devaluation has gotten plenty of notice and criticism from the blogs for the breath and depth of the price increases, , few are taking IHG to task for the lack of any notice.