FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best strategies to accumulate 350-400K Aeroplan points for a YVR-BKK trip in J?
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:26 am
xiaobao123

Programs: Areoplan
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Welcome to FT, xiaobao123!
It's actually pretty simple. Don't fly AC.
I am not opposed to that, trust me I am not a fan of AC and actually I rather fly their star alliance partners if possible.

Originally Posted by 24left
Yes, J or C is used to refer to Business Class.

I believe @ price point was for a single ticket. I am not sure where you were searching for YVR-xxx-BKK, but I'm looking at GF (Google Flights) for Feb 2022 (since it does not go out to 2023 at this point). Flying ANA YVR-HND-BKK is showing as $4,323 CAD. While I understand that your objective it to get various credit cards to earn the points you will need to buy 2 business class to BKK, since this thread is also a discussion, other options are presented - which may help you or others who may drive by.

Please report back on how your strategy works.
Yeah, I think he was as well and I was referring to 2 tickets (most of my posts will be like that as I need 2 tickets so might as well talk about 2 tickets). Yeah I did look at google flights and did find around 4K for a ticket I think it was with Japan airlines. Still 8K is too steep for me to swallow for tickets and actually right now I think I could buy 300K in points in areoplan and pay like 5K and that would be enough for business class. So not sure if it is best option right now paying cash.

Yes please provide any and all options I have. If I can find a better way to do this I am all for it.

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Keep in mind that Air Canada can change the number of points required for an award anytime they like, and if you do collect enough points then there's no guarantee that you'll be able to find 2 seats in J on the same flights when you want to fly.
Well all AC flights have dynamic pricing so I am focusing more on star alliance partners (can you just do a search star alliance partners?). The program is quiet new and with flying taking such a hit I think it is unlikely major change would happen in 2 years after they brought out the program but it could happen but everything is a risk. I am trying to be open with flying though as in anytime within the first 5 months of 2023 as I did notice that many of the flights offer 10% to like 80% business class so I will really have to sit down and play around with the dates to find one that is 100% business.

Originally Posted by rowsign
For what it’s worth: The only time I didn’t mind flying long haul economy was when my kids were small. I just used their legroom space. I am a tall guy. We flew a few US to Argentina and Europe flights that way. It wasn’t great, but not terrible either.

A two year old is a job in itself so no time to enjoy J very much. Sometimes I would put my wife up front as she carries the load most of the time and deserved a break.
That was an option I was thinking of if we only can get 1 business class ticket then I would just let me wife have it. Again I am sure we can manage in economy if needed but I think if we ever do business it is the time when we can get the kid for free in business as I am not going to pay 3 full fares ever for business class.