FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Obtaining a ROC passport
View Single Post
Old Mar 25, 2021, 2:49 am
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Taiwan Linkage & Naturization...

Originally Posted by garykung
To make things simple for you - unless any of your family members can show evidence of a passport issued after 1949, you have no linkage with Taiwan.
I agree.
Originally Posted by garykung
Originally Posted by jamar
... if I go the naturalization route to secure ROC nationality, that means having to give up my US passport,...
Not true.

1. Both the U.S. and Taiwan recognize dual-nationality.
Not accurate. OP was correct.

If you like, you may dig into this celebrity's highly published journey of becoming a Taiwanese in local media:
Larisa Angela Bakurova (李瑞莎)

Even though ROC does recognize dual nationality, foreigners taking the naturalization route (to Taiwan) will have to provide documentation of renouncing or relinquishing his/her nationality. Yes, this person can become stateless before ROC government approves his/her application, such as Larisa Angela Bakurova.

Source: https://www.ris.gov.tw/app/en/3051
...3.Nationality
  • (1). How do aliens apply for naturalization to acquire R.O.C. nationality and ID cards?
    • A. Basic requirements for alien nationalization (pursuant to the Nationality Act §3~9)
      • - Valid alien resident certificate or alien permanent resident certificate.(The applicant must apply for resident certificate to embassy of R.O.C. according to Statute Governing Issuance of ROC Visas in Foreign Passports. Within 15 days of entry into the territory of R.O.C., the applicant must apply for alien resident certificate to local office of National Immigration Agency. The alien permanent resident certificate must be applied in accordance with relevant laws).
      • - Alien resident certificate (he/she annually has resided in the territory of the R.O.C. for more than 183 days in total for more than 5 continuous years. Permitted foreign labors according to Employment Services Act §46.1.8~§46.1.10, students during the period of studies, or the fore-mentioned individuals depending on relatives who are nationals of R.O.C. shall be exceptions.)
      • - He/She is 20 years old or older and has the capacity to act in accordance with both the laws of R.O.C. and the laws of his/her own country.
      • - He/She behaves decently and has no records of crime.
      • - He/She has enough property or professional skills for his/her self-support or ensuring his/her living.
      • - He/She possesses basic language ability in the language of our country and understands the basic common knowledge of national’s rights and obligations.
      • - Loss of original nationality.
(bolding mine)

Last edited by lin821; Mar 28, 2021 at 2:55 am Reason: typo