FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Price jump from $249 to $969
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:39 pm
PV_Premier
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by williwaw
Reviving this thread only because looking at PDX-Hawaii in December I still see just Y coming back on AS. And over to Delta is it just their first product that is pricing. I don’t have an active EF since I am grounded but I suspect buckets are still zeroed out. A family of four from PDX to Kona for $8,000.... But maybe if that stimulus check is burning a hole in your pocket people will bite. I suspect the OW integration might still be part of this - but seeing DL doing the same thing is hinting that everyone is sitting tight to set fares later.
I am not so sure. I just booked KOA for Xmas yesterday. I took the last two seats on the F cabin seat map on my return flight and I paid a big price for them, but it was still cheaper than HA. More expensive than the DL/UA redeye, but not astronomically, and I prefer to sleep in my own bed than in one of their recliners.

I used miles so that it is easy to cancel and refund if prices drop, and so that I am not giving AS an interest-free loan on the fares if that becomes the case.

I have a cabin in east Idaho, fares to JAC and IDA on DL/AS/UA are all $100 higher for 28+ day advanced bookings than they were two weeks ago, mapping to the same fare buckets.

I think if the vaccine campaign is successful, travel demand is going to go through the roof for the back half of this year, and fares are gonna be high. The airlines are looking to make up for lost revenue, and travelers are looking to make up for lost time, so I think there will not be much pressure from either side to give in the game of chicken.