FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vaccine Passport for United, will it happen?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:00 am
Dyce

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by Often1
This really is not a UA issue. Unless some number of jurisdictions accept a common format (which individual carriers could, of course, adopt), a "passport" is useless.

If and when a given jurisdiction opens to those who have been vaccinated and establishes a standard for proving that, the concept of whether a UA or AA or other carrier app may be useful. For the moment, not worth it.

Ultimately, I am betting that this will come down to a visa-like stamp in a passport. Subject to forgery, of course, but a very serious crime in most countries to do so.
At the moment there are (at least) two competing electronic 'vaccine passport' solutions - CommonPass and IATA. At the end of the day all this will assist with is expediting entrance into countries that have adopted permissible use of these 'passports'.

In regards to the proof being on a piece of paper and easily copied - the paper you receive when getting vaccinated isn't strong proof due to the easily forged concerns listed earlier in this thread. It's my understanding the CDC is keeping track, but how that info is used is still to be seen due to data privacy concerns (and I'm assuming technical security / architecture). I'm not even sure how they're keeping track in regards to a personal identifier, as I don't recall giving my social security # - just my DL. A lot of info was typed into a laptop when I was vaccinated, but was that a state system that feeds into CDC, stand alone separate, and what info was recorded? I realize the need to make the vaccination process expeditious is paramount, but I don't get strong comfort that either administration has thought far enough ahead to think of future impacts.

Does being vaccinated even make a difference to any entry requirements currently - is anywhere treating vaccinated travelers differently? (And by differently I just mean expedited entry, versus proving a recent negative test). Even if it does, electronic confirmation (i.e. a vaccine 'passport') is likely a future capability due to implementation challenges. Unfortunately given lack of cooperation and competing standards I don't see any widespread adoption of this until late this year at the earliest.

What is annoying currently is the requirement for taking tests prior to travel when already vaccinated.

Last edited by Dyce; Mar 19, 2021 at 9:05 am Reason: Typo correction / clarification