FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 8 years Senator, never been upgraded
View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:03 am
ISTFlyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
I'm not a SEN, just a measly A3*G, but based on what I've read/heard LH really only upgrades when there is absolutely no other option.
Was upgraded once on a full flight from MUC to EWR when the A359 was swapped for an A346. I was booked in PE which was now needed to accomodate the Y passengers (the A346 has fewer Y seats than the A359) and got bumped into C at the gate.
This is pretty consistent with what I've heard from friends that are SENs as well.
Unlike other airlines (especially the US ones obviously), LH rather flies with their premium cabins empty instead of upgrading their (or any) frequent flyers.
I guess that's what being a monopolist gives you...
Your assumptions that I have underlined are completely true.

LH wouldn't upgrade their own elites ( not sure about HON's ), or alliance elites on their flights just because there are empty seats in the higher cabin.

They only upgrade when they have no other choice. This is the common practice for European, African, and Middle Eastern carriers.

With the number of full-service or hybrid airlines in the EU decreasing year by year, I think that this wouldn't change in the near future.