FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Points for very long term stay after a fire?
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:03 am
dcstudent

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by mareh
My mother may have to stay at a Residence Inn for 6-8 months while her house is being repaired after a fire. She's been unable to find an apartment on a month to month basis, and needs to stay in the general area. (This Residence Inn apparently houses a lot of executives long term.) If the insurance company arranges this with the hotel, I assume my mother won't be entitled to points? Thanks.
It really all depends. If she books a public long-stay rate (available at most Residence Inns on stays of 2+ weeks) and insurance reimburses her, she'll still get points/status. If the insurance company negotiates a rate and pays directly the insurance company could negotiate to not have points credited as part of the rate, but they also could negotiate a rate and not negotiate points in which case she may still get them.

Long story short, as it sounds like she won't have much choice in the matter if insurance is handling the arrangements, she should add her Marriott number no matter what and see what happens.

P.S. Sorry about the fire. Can only imagine that it was devastating. Hope no one was injured.