FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Did DL miss the boat in Austin???
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:59 am
mattya9

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL has just under half the gates available to them. Nothing other than DL basically on that end. If you pull up map fir some reason they only label DL as gate 7-10, but if look more you'll see gates 1-6 labeled as AM.

DL thus has ten gates for use at AUS. Gates 1/2 are used for international non-preclearance flights. Technically I believe 1-6 can be all used for international, but gates 1/2 are the ones that DL shares as needed for non-DL/AM international flights. I believe they can use gates 11/12 when they can't use gates 1/2.

Bottom line DL is well positioned gate wise at AUS and has said they're committed to AUS. If anything AA is playing catchup and with bizarre cities. (Unless they're purposefully inciting a war with UA/DL/WN)
How many of those gates are exclusively for DL though? Based on the information you provided it sounds like they only have exclusive/primary use of gates 7-10 and the others are common use gates. If that is the case, I can see AA requiring more gates for the increased operations and thus bumping everyone down the line (terminal) into other common use gates thus taking away availability for DL usage (and everyone else for that matter). Just a thought. I'll admit I'm a DL fanboy and want them to succeed no matter what. But until AUS builds that new satellite terminal gate space (and growth by any airline) will be hard to come by.

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
As no one can predict future air travel until we can look at pandemic in the rear view mirror - find the topic of the email premature. E.g. Miss the boat on potential business routes (not knowing how business travel will resume)? Or leisure routes (which is guarantee to draw LCC carriers making it more competitive). Or population shift so Austin becomes a major population hub in TX requiring more direct flight vs. current option of drive from the other hubs DFW? Just not sure anyone has the answers whereas AA operating with a hub only ~200 miles away not a significant investment.
Of course no one has the answers. That's why I ended the title with question marks; I want to get people' to answer the question yes or no and get their thoughts and opinions about the topic and what they think will happen moving forward (during Covid and post Covid).

Originally Posted by steveholt
Was DL supposed to expand further in AUS during the pandemic?
Initially of course not. But given the fact they talked so much about making AUS a focus city prior to Covid one would think they would have plans set or close to being set to move forward once things got better or started getting better. Now that things are starting too get better (slowly) it begs the question in the title of the thread; has DL waited too long to implement these plans and now they're stuck? Or perhaps they still have time? As I mentioned in the response above this one no one knows but I want to get other people's opinions.

OPS