FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are you having a hard time adjusting to no business travel?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:59 pm
seigex

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ikwia
I was on the road Sunday afternoon through late Friday night every single week. I even traveled parts of the weeks of Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. For me, the end of travel was a big adjustment for the first few months. Now I'm used to it, and there are pros and cons of being at home. I do miss some of the nice perks of being on the road (the occasional Flagship First Dining, seeing new places, trying restaurants across the country/world, etc.) and it is also more expensive being at home (e.g., no more per diem). But what I'm really worried about is returning to the road. No matter when that happens, a lot of the things that made travel bearable will be gone. I will almost certainly lose my top-tier status and the service and lounge perks that come with that. Hotel lounges may be closed. I will no longer get special treatment at properties that I frequent. Those types of things, plus being out of the travel routine, will probably make travel rather painful, at least for a while. I guess I'll find out, hopefully later this year. If the travel becomes painful, I will probably try to avoid it, which will mean giving up some work and having other work be somewhat less effective.
Same here, traveling consultant, only spent Saturday at home. I miss a lot of it, especially accumulating the points/miles that paid for my international PTO travel. Eating in out-of-state restaurants and making friends with hotel staff, on top of being face to face with my customer rather than 8 hours on zoom with very little personal connection, even when working with them for several months is a drag.

That said, I like that I've had more time in the last year to work on my house and develop hobbies than I have in the last 5 years. I do look forward to travel again, if it happens. I'm not quite so sure it will, or it will be few and far between as customers realize it's cheaper for them to have remote consultants and they've now gotten past making zoom sessions work. But in the mean time, the plan is to go back to 3 day travel weeks instead of 5, which as much as I miss the travel lifestyle, I'd be OK with. I get a mix of travel and life at home.

My 2019 stats were: 150,000 miles traveled between work and PTO. Worked in or visited India, Chile, Mexico, Canada, Japan and Taiwan. Was 120% billable, including holidays. It was quite a life.