FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Federal Court: Travelers Have 1st Amendment Right To Record TSA Screeners
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:37 pm
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
It never ceases to amaze me when anyone indicates that they have a "Right to not be recorded" in a public space (not just for TSA, in many other walks of life as well). There is no expectation of privacy in public - regardless of position, or job. The only time that filming/video can be stopped at a checkpoint, is if they are interfering with the screening process (this means that you are actively obstructing the process, by some form or means), or they are caught trying to video items that are obviously kept from the public due to security reasons (like the Xray machine screens that they have to maneuver into blocked off areas to film). Other than that, they have the absolute right to film anything in a public forum, including the checkpoint areas. TSA re-emphasizes this consistently in training, and in leadership training. Anyone that acts contrary to what I listed above, is wrong - it really is that simple. We get training each year reiterating that folks can film in the checkpoint as long as they do not run afoul of the listed situations above.
Even with clear guidance provided by TSA on its web pages, routine training, and in its leadership training on the right and limitations to record some staffers apparently just fail to get the message. I'll be the first to acknowledge that such incidents have been curtailed, or just didn't make a news cycle, but TSA had several cases that received attention. Hopefully TSA is doing better on its training effectiveness.

Filming at TSA Checkpoints

An agent of the Transportation Security Administration reportedly summoned a law enforcement officer on a teenager 16 years of age who refused to obey his orders to stop filming his father experiencing a “pat-down” at the security checkpoint of New Orleans International Airport.

At the 1:23 mark in this video, you can hear the agitated agent bellow “You respect this badge right here!” as he points to his uniform:
*video mentioned in quote is no longer available.