FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question on Collecting Delta Miles
View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:58 pm
Zorak
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Melissa Chapman
Hi I am traveling to Japan in 2022. I have accumulated enough chase points for 1 roundtrip ticket o Japan. I have 100K in Marriott points and 15k on a delta rewards account.

If I do the 3:1 transfer on Marriott, that will yield me 38K (33 plus5). Would it stand to reason that this 38K could be added to my 15K balance for a total of 53K in my Delta account. This would then transfer over as 520.00 off another ticket to Tokyo. Is this correct?

I know Amex has that great deal on the Delta Platinum but we aren't flying anywhere utnil May 2022 so the benefits are not that great to me. I have already earned the Gold in the past.

Thanks for clarification! Melissa
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

1. If you do the 3:1 transfer of Marriott to airline then yes those simply get added to your existing miles.

2. Just to clarify, you plan to buy one ticket via Chase points, and a second ticket using the Delta miles? Since you say 53k miles -> $520 (did you mean $530?) this implies you plan to use Pay With Miles -- note this is only available if you have an eligible DL AMEX card, and can only be done in increments of 5000 miles for $50., so you could transfer only 90k -> 30k+5k plus your existing 15k = 50k.

But IMO this is a terrible redemption value for the Marriott points -- you would essentially be getting .33 cpm. While in many places there aren't great opportunities for redemptions right now because hotel cash rates are so low, if it were me I would keep the 100k Marriott points on hand for future use.