FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aluminum Rimowa or invest in GameStop?
View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:31 am
Global Adventurer

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Chuvash
I’ve had a polycarbonate salsa deluxe for 2.5 years, which for reasons unclear to me has ended up completely trashed: the casing is cracked, one wheel is about to fall off, and 3/4 of the side supports have been ripped off. It’s so bad the Rimowa repair shop said I must have dropped the bag from 30ft high, which I obviously didn’t. Long story short, I need a new bag.

I don’t think I’ve been running the Rimowa particularly hard, I do travel quite a bit and not just from one 5* to the next, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I’m willing to give Rimowa another shot, this time with an aluminum casing (thinking Classic). I’m wondering if anyone can comment on the solidity of the aluminum vs. polycarbonate as I’ve heard both that it’s more resistant and more fragile.

Thanks!
Have you thought about the "Hybrid" version? Aluminum casing, corners, etc and poly body. I have a cabin small aluminum original and I only bought it for carry -on. Don't plan on getting any scratches or dents in it. The only one I have my eyes on is the Hybrid, because I think it reduce the scratches and the corners and frame will should absorb any major hits. Not sure because I've never used one. But in my opinion, all poly or all aluminum wouldn't work for me in constant usuage. I think the poly would crack/bend, and the aluminum look like a tank hit it after many trips. Good luck. Oh, this summer I plan on buying a Pelican original carryon model. That thing will take a licking and its waterproof. That will be my primary luggage for international travel to places that are known to damage luggage.