FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CUN check-in experiences?
View Single Post
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:41 am
GlobalMatt

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by marcworld
I haven't flown AA in a very long time. Just became Platinum on a status challenge. Flying out of Cancun (CUN) - wondering - how much lead time do I really need? Is there an express check-in for AA/oneworld status? I do need to check a bag.

Trying to be realistic about lead time and I don't want to show up hours early, foregoing valuable pool time, unless it's really going to be necessary. Thanks all!
It usually takes my wife and I 15-20 minutes to check-in and get through security at CUN. Of course if there is a family of four in front of us that has never flown in the past 10 years, it will take significantly longer.

Regardless of airport, an easy way to spot Priority Check-in areas is that they have a red-colored line queue. Blue is for Main Cabin. Unless you're checking bags, another nice hack is to use the self-serve kiosks if it's super busy AND just gate-check your bag. I don't believe CUN has a Priority security line, I think they mash everyone together. Quite the contrary, if you ever fly out of DFW you have a private check-in area and security line that cuts you straight to the front in Terminal A, where you can then take the airside AirTran even if you fly out of a different terminal.

I'd also encourage you to get the Citi AAdvantage World Elite Mastercard that gives you access to all Admirals Clubs with a same-day AA boarding pass. Annual Fee is ~$500, but you get a $200 credit towards flights and hotels, not to mention an annual Admirals Club membership would cost in excess of that annual fee.