FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling the world for 6 months... My sabbatical leave experience
Old Feb 28, 2021, 1:15 pm
palmanfr

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
A "back-to-the-future domestic" flight (Air Calin lounge NOU + Air Calin Y NOU-PPT)

For my last morning in New Caledonia, I did make sure to setup multiple alarm clocks as I could not really afford missing that flight. Once, because going to French Polynesia is a dream for most, including me. Secondly, because of it's frequency : Every saturday morning departs from Nouméa a "back-to-the future" flight to Papeete in French Polynesia. This once weekly only flight takes off on a saturday morning, and lands in Papeete... on a friday night, since you cross the international dateline halfway during this flight. The fact it is once weekly, and without any direct competition on this route - meaning also that there was no easy way to get rebooked to my destination - made that I planned plenty of time to get to the airport in advance.
As written before, Air Calin is almost in a monopoly position when it comes to flight to and from New Caledonia, and they pretty much charge the prices they want for this direct flight to Papeete. A one way ticket on this flight back then was about 500 Euros in economy. Fortunately, Air Calin is a partner of FlyingBlue (well, even more, as it is also their loyalty program) and I could get a one-way ticket in economy, with 2 pieces of luggage included thanks to my Platinum status for just 29000 Miles and a hefty 124,90 Euros of taxes and "surcharges". But this was still a better deal than paying for a revenue ticket. Business class was able for 72000 miles if I recall correctly. For this 5 hour-ish flight, and being a day flight and I did not feel like spending an extra 50k miles or so to fly in an pretty outdated angle-flat business class of their 330-200 (nowadays, they fly this route on their new 330-900 neo I think, with a better business class product).
Another great example on the value of frequent flyer programs for some niche markets...

After a quick breakfast in my room, I checked out from my hotel on the baie des citrons and headed on the main road to La Tontouta international airport about 40 min away from Nouméa (as there was no decent hotel near the airport, I decided to sleep again in Nouméa that night).
I filled the tank of the rental car at the last station before exiting the city and this was enough to keep the tank full until the airport (as I was not sure if there was a gas station over there).
Bringing the car back was a formality so-to-say, the Hertz counter was not open when I arrived and I dropped the keys in a mailbox after taking pictures of the car at every angle. By 9 am, I was in the terminal ready to check-in. (I however pre-selected my window seat at the time of booking - unfortunately no emergency exits seats were available but I was happy to select a window seat at the front of the cabin).

La Tontouta Intl airport terminal

The public side of the terminal was a bit busy with visitors bringing their family and friends to the airport and enjoying a last coffee with them in the only café-restaurant of the terminal. I bought a couple last minute postcards and souvenir from the convenience store in the terminal and headed towards the Air Calin check-in counters. As you can see below, the check-in area was not really crowded...

Public area of NOU terminal

Air Calin Check-in in NOU. Used the priority line although it was not very useful...

Once a week only !

Check-in was swift, and I then headed to the emigration check and the security where everything was passed in a few minutes only. Although this is technically a domestic flight (Both New Caledonia and French Polynesia are French territories) the French border police was conducting the immigration and emigration checks in both territories.

Last stop : Mail the post cards for the family and friends !

View on the public area of the terminal

One of the two gates with a jet bridge for this flight.

I love the Air Calin livery !

SB Airbus 330-200

There is really not much to see and do in Noumea airport, a small duty-free store is located after security and there is like one restaurant upstairs as I far as I remember. Being FB Platinum I had access to Air Calin's Hibiscus lounge upstairs. A friendly agent welcomed me after scanning my BP.

Upstairs the terminal

Air Calin Hibiscus lounge in NOU

The lounge itself is ok, the seating is comfy and there are outside views on the tarmac but the catering was quite minimal. Note that the lounge has no restrooms as far as I recall, but some public restrooms are located right next to the entrance.

Seating was comfy...

Buffet section

Bar selection ok...

But the catering could be improved.

Departure board that day... Quite busy in La Tontouta :-)

View of the beast...

One thing I certainly enjoyed is the free wifi connection, although it was quite slow, as New Caledonia was one of the few destinations during this 6-month leave where I did not have a proper data-plan on my cell phone. (Between my French SIM card from free which provides me good and cheap connectivity in 50+ destinations and the Thai AIS prepaid SIM which offers great data plans across the Asia Pacific and some other countries - but not New Caledonia or French Polynesia unfortunately - I was happy to find free wifi in the lounge and at the hotels I stayed at !)

Around 10:00 I went back downstairs to the gate and boarding eventually started a couple minutes later, with priority boarding first, giving me enough time to snap a few more pictures of my ride...

F-OJSD in Noumea

Air Calin SB600 – February 10th 2019
NOU Noumea La Tontouta Intl - 1035
PPT - Papeete Tahiti Faa'a Intl - 1910 (- 1 day !)

Airbus A330-200 – F-OJSD – Seat 11H, Economy, window.

Since boarding was from door 2L, I was only able to take a brief look to the business class cabin...

Looks like AF's former business class seat...

Air Calin Economy class, a standard 2-4-2 configuration for those type of birds...

My seat 11H

Leg room was a bit tight...

A small amenity kit was available on every seat pocket. The flight boarded quite swiftly and I was very happy not to have anybody seated next to me. This 5-hour journey was much more comfortable with the block of 2 seats just for me !

Air Calin Economy class amenity kit.

Going to Tahiti !

ANZ flight arrived right during our push back...

We pushed back about 10 min earlier than scheduled and the safety movie was broadcasted during this operation.

Push back from NOU

SB600 flight route

Much better with nobody seated next to me !

Adjusted leg room

IFE from 20 years ago!

Row 10 central screen

Air Calin Safety video

A couple babies were located on rows 10, but they remained quiet during the flight. I would say that in economy class, this flight was about 60% full...
The IFE was maybe about 20 years old, and the selection was very limited, with only 8 TV series in there. I am however confident that the IFE on their newer 330-900 neo is much more up to date...

We took off on time with great outside views of the island.

Take off !

Above New Caledonian countryside

Once the seat belt sign switched off, I went to use the lavatories and discovered that the crew was giving the immigration forms for Polynesia during this time, but unfortunately, they did not leave me one and when I enquired the crew they told me that they did not have enough of those.
A drink service started about 30 min later. I have to say that the crew was no so friendly on this flight, probably because they do an immediate rotation in Tahiti and don't get to enjoy Polynesia ? :-)

Crew rest on the back seats of the first economy cabin. The crew does not get to stay in Papeete and flies back the same day to Noumea.

Bar service. You can get a Pastis 51 about 20000 km away from Marseille !

KLM-type snacks above the pacific...

Somewhere above the pacific...

The lunch was then served, with only one option available. It was very mediocre, especially the meat balls...

Lunch Air Calin SB600 NOU-PPT Economy class

The cake was maybe the best thing on this tray !

I wanted to watch something ont he IFE (cannot recall what) but the headphones were just terrible and got another pair from the crew. I think the jacks start to get pretty worn out on those old seats...

After a couple hours, we crossed the international date line and went back to yesterday...

Yesterday, here we come

I had a short nap (the seat was reasonably comfortable especially with no one next to you) and woke up with the sun setting over the Pacific ocean...

Getting closer to Papeete

We landed smoothly after making a few turns above Tahiti, on PPT's only runway along the lagoon, unfortunately, the sun had already set, hence the poor pictures...
We landed at 19:05 on Friday, February 9th local time, 16:05 the day after in Noumea...

Approaching PPT

Like all flights in PPT, disembarking ocured via stairs and we were parked next to nice Air New Zealand dreamliner. Upon entering the terminal a nice local band was playing polynesian music. You get straight in the local mood, I loved it !

Total flight SB600

Air Tahiti's ATR, which link Tahiti island with the rest of Polynesia and the Cook islands

PPT terminal

ANZ dreamliner in PPT

Maeva (Welcome) in Tahiti !

After completing the immigration form in the arrivals hall, I cleared immigration without too much wait and luggage arrived about 20 min later.

Papeete airport is quite small and most of the terminal is open air, just covered with a roof. The arrivals area felt a bit cramped, maybe due to the fact 2 wide body aricrafts landed at the same moment almost...

Immigration line PPT

Luggage area PPT

Arrivals hall, in open air

I then walked to my hotel for my first night, the Tahiti airport hotel located walking distance from the airport.

Destination map from PPT

Walking to my hotel across the street for my first night

This was definitely an interesting flight to take. The service onboard was so-so and the cabin a tad outdated but I was happy to take this "bucket-list" flight and find award seats for it. The only other way to get to Papeete from Noumea in a reasonable amount of time would have been to fly via Auckland on ANZ or Air Tahiti Nui, but I don't dare to check how much money they would charge for a one-way ticket...

Next : Heading to Moorea island !