FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IST-YVR Route Launch
View Single Post
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:34 am
lsquare
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I had been about to move over some Marriott points to book some August flights to/from YVR, when the J award space just disappeared yesterday. That's not a great sign IMO, but of course it could be meaningless.

The new Canadian rules about hotel quarantine are completely about dis-incentivising Canadians from travelling internationally. (borders are of course shut to foreigners already) I can't really see that changing until a significant % of the population is vaccinated, and that's not going to happen by May and probably not before the summer. Simply not the time to be launching a new route...

But longer term there still may be a market for South Asia <--> Western Canada that isn't really well served by anybody.
It seems like the UK is doing better than North America right now. Both Canada and the US are not vaccinating their population fast enough. I really doubt international travel will start going back to normal until Q4 2021 at the earliest now.

AC flies to South Asia, but it's pretty expensive and that's probably due to a lack of competition.