FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Fails to Understand Multiple Names/Name Changes. Flyer cautionary tale
Old Feb 20, 2021, 3:45 pm
DoubleWidesFly
Used to be 'rockferd'

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Alaska Fails to Understand Multiple Names/Name Changes. Flyer cautionary tale

Here's a story for you, but first is anyone else here an immigrant to the US? Does anyone else here have multiple last names?

Every time we fly Alaska Air internationally we have this problem. It never happens with any other airline. My partner's last name on his foriegn passport does not match his US green card or global entry card. He has multiple last names on his passport (mom's maiden name + dad's name). Every time when checking in and/or at the boarding gate, Alaska Air wants to change his name to match his Brazilian passport. Even when presenting his green card and global entry card, they insist on changing it to match his passport. This in turns screws up his global entry and TSA precheck. Of course this is never an issue when flying Alaska domestically as they don't recheck passports/IDs at the gate. Unfortunately changing his Brazilian US passport to match his US documents is not currently an option.

We have flown together several times on swiss, qatar and American internationally without this issue, and a slew of other airlines internationally, always without a problem. As other airlines see his residency card and global entry card that match his ticketed name and understand how the world works. Meanwhile, Alaska always demands the ticket name matches his passport and not his Green card/global entry.

I am obviously flustered right now, but I am also very much over Alaska staff not understanding CBP, internationally recognized documents, and multiple last names. These headaches and fights are leading me to highly consider taking my business elsewhere.

Today, after changing his name on his ticket at the gate they told us, either board the plane or fly tomorrow. Because the plane is leaving with or without you. What type of CS is this?

Alaska airlines is joining Oneworld. How are they going to deal with the influx of interline tickets. Passengers from Asia who sometimes have 5 or 6 names. I recall when I lived in China, multiple names were common. It's as if Alaska Airlines doesn't understand the world or anything that isn't Seattle White, how documents work, especially for resident non citizens.

Last edited by DoubleWidesFly; Feb 21, 2021 at 1:07 pm