View Single Post
Old Feb 20, 21, 5:42 am
Colossus

Programs: BA Silver
One Way to New Zealand using Avios

Later in the year (October/November) I am planning to move from London to New Zealand with my wife and 1 year old. I am a New Zealand passport holder (as too is my child) and my wife is in the process of applying for a resident visa.

We currently have approximately 300K Avios and 2x BA Amex Companion vouchers, so we were hoping to use these to get us there - particularly as one way cash bookings on such a route never represent good value.

I was wanting to see if anyone has any suggestions on how we may be able to get there by using our Avios and companion voucher. We would like to either do Business class or a mix of Business and Premium Economy. Happy to book in 2 legs and stay overnight if it makes more sense, and will be allowed given potential Covid entry restrictions still in place then.

I understand flying to Sydney may be difficult due to availability and entry restrictions. I was considering using BA to somewhere like:
- Doha
- Hong Kong
- Tokyo
- Singapore
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
Then booking either a cash one way to Auckland from there (One World ideally as BA silver card holders, but not necessary if doing business class and get additional luggage), or if One World carrier availability exists, doing an Avios redemption. We would be OK with spending up to an additional £2500 for one way tickets for the 3 of us, for the final leg, if we had to do cash.

In the case of Doha, a cash booking would probably be no cheaper than doing from London on Qatar, so only Avios would really be an option. Although strangely one way business flights from South Africa to Auckland via Doha on Qatar seem quite reasonable for dates I was checking (and my wife is from South Africa) - but we arenít confident it will be feasible to go back there then.

Any suggestions on a suitable route to do this - particularly if there are any other stopovers I havenít considered or if others have similar experience?

Many thanks.