FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lost luggage and Air France doesn't care
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:09 pm
johan rebel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
There's no point calling. You have the Worldtracer link, and you can see exactly what the person on the phone can see.
Yeah, right!

I go to extreme lengths to avoid checking bags. My success rate is not far from 100%, I end up with bags in the hold about once a decade on average. Nevertheless, I've had bags go astray.

Last time that happened I was flying international F, and despite the bags having been adorned at check-in with the largest dayglo priority tags I've ever seen, they didn't make it onto the second of three flights. This much I was told at the lost luggage desk at my arrival airport. Also, that the bags had been loaded on a subsequent flight and had already arrived at FRA, my second and last transfer point. They would now be sent on the next flight from there, would I mind waiting a couple of hours for them? As I had a taxi waiting to take me on a 200+ km ride home, the answer was no. Good thing I didn't wait, because of course the bags did not arrive on the next flight.

Now calling can be a real pain. You need to find the right phone number, hope that somebody will actually answer the phone, and then be lucky enough to get somebody on the line who is willing to help, not just go through the motions. Plenty of time and even more patience are essential, and a big dollop of luck really helps too. In this instance I put in the time and was willing to have my patience sorely tried, because I had another flight in a few days time and needed to take delivery of the bags before then.

Long story short, the bags were couriered to my doorstep within 48 hours. Not bad, given that they had to travel a considerable distance, and from one country to another. After I had taken delivery, Worldtracer was still telling me that my bags were in FRA, as it had been saying all along. For all I know, it still is.

So am I going to rely on Worldtracer as a fount of wisdom and my sole source of information? No way. Instead of sitting back and waiting for miracles to happen I prefer to do what I can to move things along.

I would only recommend passivity to those who don't give two hoots about their bags and their contents; who will cheerfully wait around for days or weeks for them to be delivered at the airline's conveniece; or who are happy to wait for monetary compensation in lieu of getting their belongings back.

To the OP: I hope you will be reunited with your bags. Don't give up hope.

Johan