FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lost luggage and Air France doesn't care
View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:51 pm
royal757

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren
As a baggage handler I'm sure this can be frustrating but as others have said it's not necessarily that they don't care. If they have no info, they have no info.

If they can't tell you ANYTHING, then my best guess with experience is that it never left Nice. I'm not sure about AF scanning practices but most airlines scan bags, for this exact purpose. Domestic flights get scanned less, but internationally the scanning is pretty good.

Bag goes down the belt toward the bagroom, at this point it should've ended up on the right pier. Unless the tag got torn off, possible, but doesn't happen that often. Also, I would hope you didn't have an old bag tag still on it, or any of those little stickers that get placed elsewhere on the bag that people love to collect. Those things trip up the scanning systems.

So if we assume you got past all that, it made it to the correct bagroom belt on time and would've been taken out to the flight. Would've been scanned in the bagroom and then maybe or maybe not scanned onto the aircraft, again scanning practices on domestic flights aren't as frequent, but almost everything gets scanned in bagrooms.

If they literally can't tell you ANYTHING, I'd suggest that bag never made it down to the bagroom. Because at the very least there'd be a scan of your bag being "loaded into Baggage cart (narrowbody) or can (widebody) AKE123456AF" or whatever. They might not offer that info up to you, but I'd think that they'd have it. If it didn't get scanned in bagroom and didn't get scanned on a domestic flight, that widens your search. But there's VERY LITTLE chance that a TATL flight had bags going unscanned. I mean one bag here or there maybe, nothing is 100% accurate, but it's close.

Long story short, I don't have any specific great advice for you. But I'd specifically search Nice, maybe call AF directly at that airport, or even call the airport lost and found (they're unlikely to be able to help, but can't hurt) If your bag dropped into a bagroom with no tag and no airline tag, I can promise you, NO ONE will take responsibility for it. When I've got free time at work I do try and help things like this along, I've personally called passengers before to find out at least what airline they flew so I could get the bag into hands of the people who should have it. But beyond that, no one wants to deal with something they aren't sure is theirs. Now, if your bag is distinct, has that A4 paper inside as you've said and is in Nice, someone from lost and found might be able to just go for a little walk and find it. Your absolute best bet would be to know someone at NCE airport that could go look for it lol, that's a real long shot, but if your bag ever gets lost at YVR get ahold of me and I'll have a look around
Thanks this is eye opening.
Thought, I did not have any of the little stickers you mentioned. I always remove them. And this was a brand ne duffle bag, all black with a big Marking on it. I did not have an A4 paper with my contact info in it as others have mentioned ... oh well I should do that from now on. Nor did I have a tag with my contact info on it.

Upon my 5th call with Air France they sent an internal mail to NCE and NCE answered that the luggage was loaded in the belly of the A319 that did NCE-CDG. So so far we can assume it is at CDG, which is ... a huge airport.

I gave all the details regarding the size, distinct markings, and the content of my luggage to AF but I just feel like no one is actually looking for it. Just "if it appears then we'll call him, otherwise we don'T look for lost stuff" that's the sentiment I have.

Until now, they have not re-imbursed any of my claims for necessities.

I was told in Paris all lost luggage goes to "Le Kube" .. can't get more information.

Is it possible my luggage is still in the belly of that A319 and never unloaded? Doubtful right? I'm just stunned, it is my first time losing a luggage for more than 24 hours. I fly on average 60 flights a year, Covid got me down to 20 a year.

I keep checking everyday that worldtracer, without any hope. Air France just tells me to wait the 21th day "as protocol" but they make it sound like as if they know it will never be found, but just for the heck of it wait a few more weeks for .. no help.