FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAX - AKL Award Space August
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:07 pm
mosfet

Programs: AA - EXP
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I assume you are aware of the restrictions on entering NZ that will still be in place then? Unless you are a NZ passport holder or have residency your chances of getting into NZ are around 0% - and even with a passport or residency your chances of getting in during August will be pretty low as well demand will far exceed supply.

Having award space is IMHO pretty pointless considering MIQ space for the whole month will probably fill up in a day or so once it is released (which probably won't be until around April) so it's not possible to be fussy around flight dates because you'll probably be dictated to by date availability in MIQ which is only going to become far more scarce.

Air NZ barely ever released any award seats on that route in the past so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see zero availability now.
Yep, NZ passport holder. Not true that chances are low to get in for August, just need to be organized and prompt when August MIQ is released. You are right, supply is definitely outstripping supply in that regard!

My strategy is to look at all conceivable options of routings (of which there aren't that many of!) and book a couple refundable ones as back up plans when/if I secure MIQ space. Obviously that's more attractive with miles than $ in the current climate.