FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Searching for Snow: Skiing in Colorado Again and Again
Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:24 am
wakesetter93

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Searching for Snow: Skiing in Colorado Again and Again

After returning from Tulum in December the GF and I had no real upcoming travel plans for the first time in a long time. However, with her having previously lived in Denver we knew some ski trips were in our future. On January 4th my Southwest promotional Companion Pass landed in my inbox, giving us 2 for 1 travel through the end of February (I've since gotten an extended CP through the end of June). With the weather in Dallas getting colder and the boat put away for the winter we jumped at the opportunity to go and do some skiing. We started with booking three RT's DAL-DEN for the last part of January and two weekends in February. With our Companion Pass extended through the end of June and some resorts having snow through May, we have many more ski trips in our future.

While I debated how much of these trips I was going to write or whether to write them up at all, I ultimately decided that there was enough content to warrant a TR. While there may be some gaps (because how much can actually change between the same flights two weeks apart) I hope you all enjoy the information and write-ups of the various ski resorts.

Planning
With the GF being an avid skier and having lived in Colorado for a few years we already held Epic Local season passes when Covid closed down the ski areas in early 2020. When reservations opened for the 2020-21 season we quickly signed up for our discounted passes, giving us access to a ton of resorts (Link below). The fall was spent spending time on the new boat, planning our Tulum trip and the holidays so before we knew it it was January and we still hadn't spend one day on the mountain. We booked a few RT's on WN for the latter half on January and February so at least we had our weekends booked.

While we have a lot of our own gear, the GF and I like to rent our skis because A.) they're a lot of hassle to store and fly around with and B.) we can switch out what we're riding a few times a year. Given that we were now in mid-January with no season long rentals we had to find a sports store that was still offering the full package. Thankfully, Colorado Sports Rent was still offering season-long rentals so that was our first stop when we made our first trip. Thankfully, we still have a base-camp in Denver so we would only need accommodations during the nights we would stay up on the mountain. We used a combination of hotels and rental properties depending on the size of the group we had going with us. Lodging in the ski areas can get expensive, so it may be more cost effective to rent a house with friends.

Hopefully you all enjoy this adventure along with us!

Helpful Links
Epic Pass: https://www.epicpass.com/
Epic Resorts:
https://www.epicpass.com/region/region-overview.aspx