FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mattress Run for Hyatt Globalist in 2022
View Single Post
Old Feb 8, 2021, 2:48 pm
jameswes

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eternalX
I actually booked it with points but I would consider redoing with cash. Thanks for the info!
Without a TSU how did you get a suite when booking with points? Or did you just pay the full 40K points/night for a suite?

If you paid the 40K points, then it is 100% worthwhile to mattress run for the TSU.

For example, 4/26 - 5/3, you've got three main options for a suite:
1) Pay for it outright with points. 7 * 40K = 280K Hyatt points.
2) Pay for the base room with points, use a TSU. 7 * 25K = 175K Hyatt points.
3) Pay for the base room with cash, use a TSU. $3,243 (including all taxes/fees). With that spend, you'd also earn 30K points (4x with World of Hyatt, + 6.5x for Globalist).

Difference between #1 and #2: 105K Hyatt points (a minimum of $1500 value). So in other words you would should be willing to pay up to $1500 on mattress running to get the TSU and upgrade for free from the base room to a suite for a week.

In this case, 175K points or $3243 + 30K points is a point value of about 1.6 cpp, which is pretty good. Not amazing, but personally I'd probably just use points since I can earn Hyatt/Chase relatively easily. Now, if Hyatt has 25% off award points at that time, then I'd 100% go with the points. If they have a 3x or 4x points like now I would 100% go with paid (if it was 4x points as a resort, then in total you'd earn 86K points for your $3243 spend).
As it is, it's a toss up based on how you value Chase/Hyatt points.

But it's also pretty clear (to me at least) that if you can figure out how to get a TSU you'll save a ton of points and make mattress running worth it.