FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $700+ spent on room upgrade, no base points
Old Feb 8, 2021, 1:26 am
Cathay Dragon 666

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by klew97
I also didn't receive any points on a points stay with cash upgrade. In 2019, it had been years of no activity, and I didn't anticipate staying with any regularity in the future. I converted Chase UR points to stay 2 nights at the PH Sydney and paid cash upgrade upon arrival for Opera House view. No points earned, though I didn't follow up since I didn't even consider I should have earned any (at least not until today). My online portfolio shows no "qualifying spend", but the bill shows it as a "room supplemental charge", so maybe it didn't qualify anyway based on their definitions.
My folio says "accommodations" but the "Manager" at WoH recognized it as a room charge but cites policy (per my OP)

It's interesting that for your case she specifically said "points-reservation" with upgrades IS ELIGIBLE. Guess she's wrong there too.

Anyway, I was thinking of moving my 100+ nights stay from Marriott over to Hyatt as I keep hearing good things about it from afar. Also I'm a revenue spender that I frequently spend to upgrade room and prefer hotel dining first. If Hyatt is nickle/diming their members then, at least for my pattern of spending, Hyatt isn't a good option afterall. I'm sure Hyatt has great properties and unique benefits that are superior to Marriott. But when they wouldn't even give base points for something as basic as room upgrade, that's where I personally would have to draw the line.