FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone do Amtrak mileage runs or joyrides?
Old Feb 7, 2021, 12:25 pm
schriste

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I can't say I have ever taken Amtrak just for the miles or status. I did contemplate it once on VIA rail Canada, but in the end did not do it. I have done many airline mileage runs in the past, but gave this up when the majors stopped offering "mileage". The only case I could see anyone doing an Amtrak run would be if you are a business traveler in the NE corridor and are one trip away at the end of the year from top tier status.

I do enjoy train travel by sleeping car, so will do trips where the primary reason for the trip is to take the train. But I still do have a destination in mind and spend some time there. When I was in my 20s and still in school, I would just take the train and turn right around and come back, but once I hit the working world... just too time inefficient.

BobH in the next post brings up an interesting point. Taking a new route someplace just for the sake of it is something I would consider, but this is independent of any Amtrak rewards reasons. Also something that is not all that relevant for airlines... although I do recall a friend many years ago wanting to fly from Brazil to South Africa because it would look good on his big wall map of the world.

Last edited by schriste; Feb 8, 2021 at 2:35 pm