FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC asks me to confirm my booking
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2021, 11:50 am
testycal

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by ABG
Based on your post's timing it probably was triggered by Air Canada "zero'ing" out flights to/from Israel for early Feb in advance of government directives. In case you are unaware OP, your flight for 17th has been cancelled
Originally Posted by 24left
I can understand you are looking for a logical explanation to your situation and example of not being able to fly AC TLV-YYZ and onward to YVR, versus them now re-routing pax on LH via FRA.

Stepping away from logic, I see it as different entities trying to do either what they think is best and issuing directives (e.g. governments) and then airlines having to find ways to meet them. You are caught up in a situation where not only are rules and flights changing on an almost daily basis, but there is the Canadian gov, AC, and the gov in Israel, all making rules about flights and who can fly and how.

Looking at just the issue of the ability to get in or out of TLV:

"The government announced Friday that Ben Gurion Airport would remain closed until at least February 20 as Israel seeks to prevent the entry of new coronavirus variants that have contributed to the latest, unrelenting spike in case numbers.

Israel’s main international airport has been almost entirely shuttered since January 25, except for cargo planes and emergency aircraft."

https://www.timesofisrael.com/cabine...wo-more-weeks/

So while inconvenient that you have to go through FRA and also potentially increase risk due to more flights and more airports, I am not sure what other options there are if AC is not flying.
and this continues to be confusing...not complaining..just confused and following hour to hour changes. I also just now became aware of the Feb 20 closure extension with the result that the rebooked flight will also be cancelled. The extension was I assume decided on Friday and while I received the rebooking today on Saturday, I assume there is a time lag as to information being exchanged.

As I noted, if Canada does not want to accept passengers originating in Israel, what is the sense in allowing them in from Frankfurt?