FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fly or drive with cat 1.5hr flight
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2021, 11:00 am
fayewolf

Fly or drive with cat 1.5hr flight

I want to do the best for her as we are moving from SF to Portland. The issue is we only have a smallish SUV, and to make room for her and be comfortable, i have to clear one seat for her in the back, and won't leave me a ton of room for other stuff. We have a relocation package, so the majority of the house stuff is going straight to storage, so what we take with us is what we need for the next few months in a temporary apartment. The other challenge is the drive is around 10hrs non stop if we take I5, weather condition permits. If there is snow in the summit area, we will have to take 101 and adds about 4-5 hrs, and to potentially need to stay in hotel as we won't be able to make it in time for apartment office to open to give us the keys. We don't have the option of waiting till the weather is good to go since the moving truck is scheduled.

Kitty is a good girl, not particularly skittish, she is okay to go out on walks with me behind our house on leash, but she's not the kind that will be okay to go hiking with me. She doesn't really care going into the car, doesn't cry. Never flown.

I guess options are:
DH will drive car and able to pack more stuff (plus i can check some bags), Kitty and I fly
All 3 of us go into the small SUV, and will have to UPS some stuff over
DH drive small SUV, Kitty and I will rent a car so we have more space- probs doesn't make much sense

Any thoughts?