FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where can I travel to get the Covid-19 vaccine? Shots to non-citizens [merged thread]
Old Feb 5, 2021, 5:23 pm
elizadoo

Originally Posted by downinit
Another option is to search out a vaccine trial in your area. You should know immediately if you get the placebo or not, due to the inevitable (minor) side effects reported almost universally.
I am in a trial right now, Phase 2 of an mRNA vaccine similar to Moderna and Pfizer. I just received my first jab on Wednesday. Was told I had a 1 in 4 chance of placebo, 3 in 4 chance of actual vaccine.

After the shot I felt fine. My arm didn't hurt, no soreness, nothing. I assumed i had received the placebo. Coincidentally, my husband received his first jab of the Pfizer vaccine in another location, same day, same time. Back home a few hours later, we talked about how we felt great. Fast forward past dinner time, and by then we knew we had both received the vaccine. Neither of us slept well due to muscle pain, fatigue, slight headache. Definitely "off" the next day, Thursday. Today is Friday and I am still tired and a little achy, but not enough to take a Tylenol. Never any arm pain.

Anyway, the clinical trial is a double-blind, randomized one where I am not told which shot I received--but my body sure knew! On the 2nd round there is a 50/50 chance I will receive a placebo. If I don't experience side effects on the 2nd shot--highly unlikely, as the 2nd shot is said to be worst than the first--then a few months down the road I will get an antibody test. If the results show I have few or no antibodies (which tells me my 2nd jab was the placebo), then I will get the J&J vaccine because I will have had 1 dose of the mRNA.

Thought this might help those of you contemplating a clinical trial. If interested, go to ClinicalTrials.gov or Google it, as I know my particular vaccine will probably be going in Phase 3 shortly, and there are 7 other vaccines in the works also going into trials.

Last edited by elizadoo; Feb 5, 2021 at 5:36 pm