FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Portugal Starwoods: from the Algarve to Porto [Master Thread]
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:19 am
AskTravis

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thumbs up Sheratons in Portugal

Hi all,

Just back from a vacation to Portugal, wanted to share my thoughts on the *wood hotels there.

1. Sheraton Algarve
- In a word, wow. Amazing property to hit the first nights of the trip. For 10K points a night, I couldn't have asked for better. We (girlfriend and I, both 26) arrived at 1 PM, and asked to check in. No problem, they had my PLAT in the system, and the room was ready to go. Upgraded to a 2-floor suite with balcony facing the ocean, very nice. Amenity recognized without asking, free bottle of wine in the room within 15 minutes. Also, as a first time visitor, I was given a coupon for a free round of champagne in the lounge bar and a survey to fill out... fill it out, 1000 free points. very sweet. Nicest reception woman every, no attitude at all. Property was amazing, beach was great and the weather made it even better. Cheap grocery store across the street so costs were minimal. Eat at the patio cafe one afternoon, ran us $26 Euros, a little pricy, but that is expected. Room was spotless both days. Free parking.

2. Sheraton Lisboa
- Very nice hotel, don't try to take the back street to get there Checkin wasn't as smooth: PLAT status recongnized, room on the 22nd floor was very nice and had HARDWOOD floors... first time I have seen that is a *wood room. Youngish front desk girl didn't recognize PLAT amenitity, had to call later to get more wine, not a big problem as I am use to it now. Parking was $16 Euros a day, but cost was WAIVED because I was on the top level floors, very nice perk. Pool was ok, but in the shade for the most part, and quite busy for a weekday. The Club Lounge breakfast was spectacular. Amazing spread, best I have seen yet. Overall, very nice "city" hotel, would be a nice place to stay on business, and a nice place to regroup in Lisboa. Walking distance to most areas of interest. 7K points well spent.

3. Sheraton Porto
- Where to being. Wow. Hotel was opened in 2001 I believe, and it shows. We checked in at 11 AM without problem, amenity recongnized, and upgrade to Executive Suite. 2 rooms, 2 plasma TVs, wine arrived 5 minutes after we sat down. Club Lounge on the 12th floor had ocean views, great appetizer and wine from 6-8, and breakfast from 6-11. The real key to this hotel, was the Spa. Opened in the past 3 month, this is a state of the art facitily that would have been worth paying for, if it wasn't included in the hotel cost (or points in our case!) One note - we ask the cost, and the girl asked "are you with a group?" - I asked her, and it turns out if you are staying there on a package deal of some type, you have to pay to use the Spa. The gym was great, Turkish Bath great, and the hottub was hard to beat. Location of the hotel is not optimal for walking, but with cheap taxi fares (5 Euros to the city core) its not too painful. Hotel is right across the street from FC Boavista's stadium, and our suite could see onto the field, would be nice on a game day.

ONLY PET PEEVE WITH ANY OF THESE HOTELS:
- UNICEF. I understand the purpose of the program, but staying over 120 nights a year, and contributing personally already, the UNICEF charge on the bill per night is a little annoying. At the Algarve, it was 5 EUROS, which you had to ask to remove. Other hotels was only 1 EURO, but I really just prefer to give money when I choose to, not to feel bad about asking to remove a $1 charge from my bill ... not a big deal though, just don't like things like that imposed on me!

All for now, Safe Travels.

T.