FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Feb 3, 2021, 7:55 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by och.nat
Thanks KARFA, and that's because of the BA T&Cs rather than anything in EU261? If so I may still try as I don't want to go any time before Oct 21 - and the ability to rebook (I used 50% avios sale and 2-4-1) for any time is a bit of a golden ticket! But I won't hold my breath!
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum och.nat.

EC261 only gives you a clear right to departure on the very next available operating service. In normal circumstances the next day's flight, of if the service is suspended, the first service after resumption. You also have the right to fly later than that, but it's subject to seats being available, which in turn amounts to only being allowed if you and BA can mutually agree a date for travel. Moreover BA at the moment are scheduling flights to Orlando in April 2021, even if this seems infeasible.

EC261 wasn't really written for a pandemic so it's not quite as open ended as your question implies. If BA cancels your flight, taking a cash refund is better than a maybe booking, of which we get a near daily take of woe in this forum.