FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changing 50% Avios Flights
View Single Post
Old Feb 3, 2021, 2:16 am
routeone

Originally Posted by binman
Just off the phone with You First who stated that my SCL flight, cancelled by BA for travel in April could only be re booked to fly by end of June 2021 due 50% Avios.

I have restricted leave dates so had hoped to move to end of October and fly to SCL then or perhaps to reroute entirely and fly to Asia in December.

The suggestion by Your First was to wait and see what else may transpire!! I was happy to do this given the limited options available today.

Realistically I really only have a week at the end of Oct to travel and over Christmas and would happily book for those dates if that were allowed.

Is there a definitive rule on this or it simply a case that BA guidelines, as provided today, are currently the only option? From reading this thread those that have succeeded in moving flights to later in the year have been lucky rather than covered by a specific policy. Is that a fair interpretation?

The 50% avios sale does seem to be creating some confusion not least among BA staff.
I had a similar exchange with a BA agent this week when discussing my predicament.

The issue seems to surround the expiration of the 50% Avios offer. Back when I took advantage of said offer in October 2020, flights had to be completed prior to the end of June 2021 (possible July 2021 - definitely one of the two!). Now that people like myself are looking to rebook fights which are scheduled to depart in the next 1-3 months to later into 2021, it appears as though this would nullify the original 50% avios offer.

I was told by the BA agent that should I wish to change dates on my CW booking (using a 2-4-1 CV) from April 2021 to October 2021, I’d have to stump up the difference in avios (I.e. another 75k). This is because the dates fall outside of the original 50% avios offer.

I know a few people in this thread have been informed that they can rebook their 50% avios flights up to 1 year in advance from their initial departure date, without having to stump up extra avios, but I wonder whether this is due these bookings being First Class and therefore have a greater degree of flexibility vs say Club World or lower class bookings? Just a thought.