FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When might DL engage a digital 'health' passport?
Old Jan 31, 2021, 3:36 pm
ethernal

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by BenA
The assertion there is no international standard isn't actually true; IATA is developing a standard for vaccine passports based on the existing TIMATIC visa checking infrastructure. IATA - Travel Pass Initiative They're well positioned to bring together governments and airlines, and I fully expect that if we do end up adopting vaccine passports (not a done deal, but likely) that their platform will be the one that is adopted.

There are other fragmented attempts - CommonPass — The Commons Project is one - but I think the IATA version is the one that is most likely to succeed based on how deeply the aviation industry relies on their standards.
It's a unilateral standard. Because of the existing TIMATIC infrastructure, I agree that they are the most likely candidate to succeed because they can build it for airlines (who are the buyers of TIMATIC). But note how the flow chart ends with "OK to Travel" with a couple of options.. because they are not directly integrated into the vast majority of country's border patrol system. All IATA is doing is trying to provide a verification structure in the backend that again has to be "passed" to border agents. That last part is the hard part. Every country has their own border control processing system that has to be modified to ingest this information.