FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA award / reroute due to partner itinerary changes?
Old Jan 28, 2021, 12:06 pm
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by NickRivas
I am totally fine with AA's MEX-VIE option, but my question is, let's say the landing ban continues and the LHR-VIE part of my flight can't happen...would it be possible or even likely for them to reroute me:

on the MEX-DFW-FRA-VIE flight even though I booked with miles and not $?
or
the Iberia MEX-MAD-VIE in J, since J class is empty on those flights but just not available with miles

Or would they automatically only give me the crazy 22 hour or overnight itineraries?

basically, I'm asking that if I redeem a J award flight and they have to reroute me because of the landing ban from the UK, would they consider rerouting me on something that was originally not available with miles (much better options as mentioned above), or does it strictly have to be whatever was available to redeem (crap alternatives)? Not sure if once ticketed they treat a reroute as any ticketed flight no matter how you got it, or if they give you possibilities only depending on if you bought with $ or miles.
On an award ticket, if the LHR-VIE flight gets cancelled in advance, AA will not re-route you via FRA on the FRA-VIE flight as that is on on OS and not a partner.

There is a slim (very slim) chance you could get re-routed on MEX-MAD-VIE on IB. If award availability opens up at the time then it's an easy change. But if award availability doesn't open up, AA can't force IB to open up award space. You could try to have AA work with their liaison to open up space but this will take some time/effort and chances of success are rather slim, although worth a shot if you have time.

As you know the oneworld schedule in VIE is limited, even more so with covid. If the LHR-VIE does get cancelled, you could definitely get AA to re-route you just to FRA on MEX-DFW-FRA, and then buy FRA-VIA separately on your own.

Other than that the options are rather limited, either A) just cancel for a full refund of miles/$$, or B) get rerouted on the crazy MEX-DFW-LHR-MAD-VIE routing or the like, subject to availability.