FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:40 am
mtofell

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by philemer
Here's the main discussion thread on GGUs: Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates
Thanks.... Before I thought the GGUs were not valuable.... After skimming through that thread I know for sure they aren't

Honestly, I take plenty of the blame as I am just too lazy to try to figure it all out. All the fare classes, upgrade windows, lists, etc, etc seems slightly harder to digest than college Calculus. I guess my take has always been to just take a quick look and if an upgrade fare is available I'll grab it but so far they never have been. It may just be the routes I fly.

To me, the best perks came in as a lowly MVP - being able to lock in an exit row seat at time of booking is a huge benefit. As is being able to just walk up to a live person at the airport and hand them my luggage. Previously it was 2-3 stops (at the ATM/luggage tag station, possibly at the tablet carrying "guard" at the end of the velvet ropes and finally at the counter).

As an MVPG now, the premium class upgrades and occasional first-class upgrades are nice. Based on some great advice here, I opt out of premium class waitlist and just do it myself starting at T-72 hours. The couple times I let AS do it they switched me from window to aisle or into a REALLY undesirable seat - 10A on a 737 for example - no window!!! (this is premium? They should pay me to sit there).