Old Jan 26, 21, 6:52 am
Blumie
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by njvandy View Post
Back in June I booked JFK-DOH-MLE for April 10 in J (2 travelers). A couple days ago QR cancelled our first JFK-DOH leg and rebooked us on a flight departing 8 hours earlier. Thankfully the itinerary is still intact, but it means a 10 hour overnight layover in DOH. There are 2 earlier DOH-MLE flights, neither are showing J availability. One of them is on the A320, which I would avoid in any case, but the other 777 flight has available in Y. Right now we're trying to decide whether it's worth sitting in coach for 5 hours to get a 9am arrival in MLE instead of 3:30pm and enjoy most of an extra day at the resort vs the DOH lounge. Anybody have experience on the 777 in Y? Thanks
This was my exact situation earlier this month. I was scheduled to fly BOS-DOH, arriving DOH at 5:55pm, and connecting DOH-MLE at 8:10am (a 14-hour layover in the lounge), arriving MLE at 3:00pm. I kept an eye on the flights, however, and exactly one-week prior to my scheduled departure, a J award seat on QR674 opened up, allowing me to depart DOH at 12:40am (reducing my layover from 14 hours to seven), and arriving MLE at 7:30am. (Of course the fact that you are looking for two seats makes this more of a challenge.

Originally Posted by rvlcr View Post
i would never ever opt for a 3:30 arrival in MLE. of course flying J is nice but personally i value a full extra day at the resort way more than 4 hours in J... this is especially true if your resort is a seaplane ride away as any delay with the 330 arrival may result in a missed seaplane flight and a transit night in hulhumale (done that once won’t do it again).

we r going to maldives in march and also we’re faced with the option of J on the 8:10am vs Y on the 00:40am and opted for the latter.
It pains me to fly in Y, but I tend to agree with this advice. Even with my 7:30am arrival at MLE, by the time I collected my bags, transferred to the seaplane, and flew to my resort, it was late morning by the time I arrived. So I assume the 3:00pm arrival would have resulted in my not arriving at the resort until close to dinner time. Moreover, although I suspect they do their best to accommodate all arriving passengers, I'd be concerned that a delayed arrival on the late afternoon flight could result in a night in Male if you miss the last seaplane.