FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changing 50% Avios Flights
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:41 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Scotsgirl
Thank you for the reply.I will see what they come back and say in response. Can I just confirm, even though I took up the option to re-book when I was notified my flights were cancelled by BA, BA are able to just cancel the tickets instead?
This is one of two remedies that applies under EC261, the other is rebooking on the next available flight. You can insist on your preferences of these outcomes. There is a third outcome under EC261 which is rebooking at a later flight, it there are seats available, and of course BA would be at liberty to say that 50% Avios seats are not available. So that third remedy exists if it is jointly agreed to some degree, not that the Regulation actually puts it like that. I don't believe you have an overwhelming case to be rebooked on a flight in say May if BA says no, but you may have some grounds on other points of contract law or the Consumer Rights Act. BA can say no to a booking in October.

No point discussing legal points with CR, incidentally, they are not deeply trained in EC261 or contract law. But you can require a rebooking to the next flight.

But yes, waiting to the next sale / Avios discount period may be the pragmatic answer, particularly in the present circumstances. Airlines are fantastic at brainwashing passengers into thinking they have got a stonking deal, never to be repaeated, but it's rarely true.