FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Escaping the 16-days 'hard lockdown' in Ukraine
Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:28 pm
ChristianKiev

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
Wednesday, Jan. 13th, 2021

After the usual Indian-style breakfast containing of plain Dosa with Sambar, Masala-Omelet with Mango Pickles we waited for the IT-Manager to inspect our internet problem. For us a stable and fast internet is not only necessary to upload photos for the trip report, Marina has online seminars and test for her studies.

A while he was unsuccessfully trying to get a higher speed, then he decided to install a new hardware in our room. Funny, nobody criticized this earlier ?

Since the water in the sea is too cold for swimming, we decided to search for some sunbeds near one of the pools.

But due to the location is nearer to the surrounding skyscrapers, we had a problem with the sun… it was constantly disappearing behind some high-rise buildings and we had to change our location.

While the interior of the Le Royal Meridien is newly renovated, the pools aren’t, show some wear and tear, missing tiles, everything aging – but not nicely.

At 1400 we headed for the Gym, me doing ‘shoulders’, Marina running for an hour. Luckily nobody complains when you’re, while in the nearly empty Gym, wear the mask ‘under the mouth’.

While working out I saw the Dubai version of ‘dinner in the sky’… Just imagine you urgently need to visit the washroom…

A bit hungry at 1600 we arrived at the Club Lounge for a Crab-Sandwich and a lemon-cheesecake, pretty nice.

After resting a bit we took our monster and drove to ‘Koko Bay’, a newly opened beach bar/restaurant located at The Palm.

Luckily we found a huge parking spot, walked towards the beach and got a table in the sand.

We enjoyed the chilly breeze and the skyline, dank a Coke Light & Tea, returned to our car, drove north and entered the premises of the Four Seasons Hotel.

Even to enter was a pain, such a traffic jam in front and inside the hotel area.

Now people knowing Dubai might think: he went to the biggest tourist trap in town, ‘Nusr-Et Steakhouse’, where the Turkish Owner puts a breeze of salt over the steak wrapped in gold paper…

But people knowing me already understand that there must be something else.

We handed the monster to valet parking, made our way to the restaurant section. Wow, there were so many people waiting,

a waiter standing on a pillar, shouting the name of people who finally got the honor to receive a free table at Nusr-Et. Marina saw this ‘show’ and already understood I would have left immediately.

But instead of turning right towards the tourist trap, we went straight to one of the best restaurants in town, COYA, serving Peruvian food.

We were a bit early, so we were seated next to the DJ, were served a free drink and after just 10 minutes guided to our table.

The menu was typical Peruvian, such as expected.

We ordered some starters, Seabass- and spicy Tuna Ceviche as well as Salmon Tacos,

followed by chicken-heart skewers,

Empanadas with oxtail filling as well as a roll with octopus.

The best by far: Empanadas; the most unimpressive: the chicken heart skewers.

We really enjoyed the interior, the good service and the music playing at the exactly right volume.

One of our desserts was especially amazing: creamy corn ice-crème with fruit coulis and salted caramel popcorn – Wow !

The bill, including two Coke Zero, came to US$ 200 (including 10% service charge), not cheap, but also not too much for such a fantastic dinner.

Of course there was a small photo shooting in front of the restaurant… you all know how stressful it is for us men when asked to make a nice pic.

Back to the hotel, I had to work a bit.