FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2021 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:20 am
seacarl

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Like many things on the upper end of the price spectrum, if one is looking for pure value in a dollars-and-cents way, one's not going to find it. As mentioned previously, of course there is the "snob factor" of having the black card but I honestly feel that's been diminished over time as the card has become less exclusive and as the opportunities to present a physical card for payment continue to shrink. But to me, honestly the #1 benefit since I got the card a few months ago has been the truly incredible customer service. I honestly feel that they care about me and my satisfaction--they've been communicative, proactive, professional, and generous. I've had a couple of little snags setting up some of the benefits (Hertz Platinum has been a real problem), and they are genuinely invested in making it right and making sure I'm well taken care of. It's impossible to put a dollar amount on that, but at least so far it makes me feel the initiation fee and annual fee are worth it.
The number one thing that I want from my credit card is to never have to call them for service at all. I just want things to work. And frankly, I would prefer a messaging or email platform as the initial contact - I can efficiently state my case at a time when it is convenient without having to have a weird prove my ID conversation or listening to a phone tree.

But what really got me is that when I tried to use my Global Entry credit to reimburse my Nexus renewal, Amex refused. Nexus is a US-Canadian program designed for border area residents, which I am, which includes Pre-Check and Global Entry. And it only costs $50 vs. $100 for Global Entry. But no, Amex was legalistic saying that they reimburse GE but not Nexus. I even asked for a supervisor. That was foolish and penny wise on their part. I'm not one who has maximised his benefits but it demonstrated to me that they didn't have common sense nor empower people.

Your mileage may vary. I'm not paying for snob appeal, which as far as I can tell is the only way that the card pencils out as the benefits don't come close to justifying the price increment over the Platinum card.