FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA F routes 2021 and beyond
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:38 am
Betteronacamel

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
How much did you pay for that trip? If it was £6,000 per person in cash, then BA would be very interested in your future business. If it was effectively £1500 via Avios, then not so much. There is an idea out in this forum that BA can make a lot of money from First, but it never has, nor have AF or LH, hence WTP is more important to BA than First.
The answer to your question is that it was an Avios redemption. I have paid full fare in the past, but the poor experience that I had was surely nothing to do with whether it was a redemption or full fare. After this experience I questioned myself whether I would bother with BA F again, paid or redemption.

As I then tried to say, with the roll out of Club Suites (CS), that question was possibly easier to answer.

Therefore, unless BA can make money in F, why would they bother? Whilst the 744 was around their hands were tied as it would not have been feasible to convert the F cabin into J. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I cannot see that F now has to be provided on any of the other aircraft in the fleet from a purely logistical point of view.

In trying to answer the original question, I was trying to surmise whether there were any routes where BA could make money in F. I don't have that data, and BA's past assumptions are presumably in the waste paper bin anyway. If, as you assert (and presumably you have the evidence to prove this), BA doesn't make money in F why do they continue? The same question applies to the other airlines you cite.

I am not actually a defender of F per se. I personally wouldn't particularly care if BA dropped F. My most recent experiences were not that great (paid or redemption) and BA hasn't really been cutting edge since about 1996 (or whenever they introduced the F Suite). Coming out of the pandemic I would think that they would rather focus on making money - so perhaps there are some routes that will support F or perhaps not. Alternatively, if WTP is the way to go, why not just fill the plane with WTP and leave it at that?