FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm about to upgrade P2's engagement diamond.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:11 am
RNE

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I expect this would be for the Statuesque Mrs. RNE
Shhh, don't tell her!

Originally Posted by mia
Haven't we already done this? Different jeweler? Freedom Unlimited is clearly the best Chase product to maximize rewards, and the Purchase Protection cap ($500) appears to be the same for Freedom as for Sapphire Preferred. If you had Sapphire Reserve the cap is $10,000 which is still small compared to the size of the purchase.
Good memory. 2017's diamond is 4.05ct (more than a centimeter across! Showy enough for anyone, one would think ). In that diamond's case, the improved clarity and color were what jacked up its price, not so much the carat weight increase. Conversely, 2021's is just ("just"?) a carat increase. Thus not as pricey, but not bupkis either. Jared is the retailer, by the way.

Originally Posted by Duke787
I did consider opening a card with a hefty welcome bonus for hitting spend minimums but I don't think an offers out there warrant you opening up a new CC at this point.
I'm with you! Unrelated to this planned purchase, P2 opened a CSP* early this week. I plan to put $4000 of the diamond's price on that card. (The arrival date of the card -- and of the diamond itself for that matter -- are unknown**). Then it's off to the sock drawer -- or stocking drawer, as the case may be.***

RNE, panhandling, "Brother, can you spare a dime?"

*Yeah, she missed the CSP's 80k SUB that I recently got, but 60k is nothing to sneeze at, and because I got a 15k referral bonus, the resultant haul is only 5k shy of 80k by my reckoning.
**The stone is being flown in from some vault in Europe to JFK and then (via some routing) to CAK where a Brinks truck will pick it up and haul it the last few miles. (Apparently it's a cause célèbre among the sales clerks at the store wanting to get a look at a stone requiring that much security.) And then, ironically, it'll be on P2's finger when we walk out to my car with only a wimp like me for security.
***Neither of us have any use for a CSP. We only got them for the SUB.