View Single Post
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:06 pm
foodguy

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Dilemma - pay with Visa and double points over threshold
or, pay with Amex and get 5ooo points after 3 stays

I think Amex wins
Normally I'd pay with the MR Visa, but with several single night "stays" planned at 2nd tier properties it makes sense to use the AMEX.
I may actually "trade down" to CY's and SHS's for single night stays over the next few months as opposed to my customary multiple night bookings at full service properties.
This must be a scary one for the marketing folks at MR. In their zeal to change behavior with Marriott elites they run the risk of actually having folks reduce revenue spent (stay in cheaper properties) in order to maximize points as opposed to increasing their spend at higher end properties with a double/double event.
With a new and improved T&E budget beginning with last weeks fiscal year start, I plan to embark on a mission to illustrate the downside of a potentially flawed program to my marketing dept.
During last years double/double event I stayed at full-service properties and ran up significant incidentals to maximize my points (and ultimately Marriott's revenue). This year I am going to reduce my spending by staying at the cheapest acceptable Marriott property I can find. I hope the deal with AMEX is worth it!!

I was taught to "trade your customers up". Things must be good at Marriott since this event does not achieve that result and it drives loyalists away from their branded Visa card.