FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA American Express companion voucher | master thread
Old Jan 3, 2021, 3:48 pm
kahyang

Happy New Year everyone! Hope everyone is keeping well, and flying soon in the near future...

I've read the FTV comments and had an open question of FTV vs cash+avios+voucher refund.

I'm planning to cancel my 2-4-1 CW to Cape town for March, hoping to rebook for a later date. voucher expires May 2021 (originally Nov 2020)

If I take FTV with the full value locked in voucher, and say rebook for say December 2021, if I chose to cancel my trip again later on, I can only request another FTV which expires April 2022, and potentially lose £1100 or so if I didnt fly long haul by then.

What if instead of FTV, I request cash refund (241, avois and money back - £70 fees) and then rebook a short haul 2-4-1, claim FTV, and then use it by paying the difference from the short haul to cape town. Am I exactly the same position as above, where if i chose to cancel, I cannot get a cash refund for the new trip as its booked under "FTV" terms? I was hoping the FTV value would only be the short haul trip, but I dont think so..

Not sure if this was covered previously.. If it is indeed the case, then would 241 FTV method of extending the voucher be negated by some loss in refund flexibility?

Last edited by kahyang; Jan 3, 2021 at 4:04 pm