FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:33 am
Global321

Originally Posted by teddybear99
I will bring this up again as I think I asked this question earlier. If the airline allows a passenger to bring a pet on board in the cabin that the pet's transportation fee is paid for, the pet is contained in an approved carrier without being let out during flight, and does not create an uncomfortable smell/noise situation, do you have a problem with that?

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it is my belief that if you go on vacation and you want to bring your pet, you should go somewhere you can drive to, versus fly to. Less stress on the pet and less stress for you having to maintain the pet inside a carrier.
FWIW - No, I have no problem with pets left in the carrier under the seat. Airlines deserve to make a profit where they can. I also agree in most cases pets should not fly. (Real service animals excluded.) Charging a fee is a good way to keep that in check.

As I stated earlier, I do believe this is a good first step. I have no doubt people will abuse this as they did before, maybe even more, as no 'official' letter is required. The airlines and other passengers will (rightfully) complain and DOT will tighten the restrictions. I also accept this will be a long process. Perhaps years, with the regs getting tighter over time.