FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)
Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:26 pm
Bluebeanflyer

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Unhappy

Originally Posted by brosnan6
Anybody have any idea what will happen with the calendar year crossover based on prior year's experience with cutting it too close to EOY ? I'm planning on making travelbank purchases in the next hour or so (just made airline selection changes with Amex and am giving it a little bit of time). I'm assuming the charges will post 12/31 but credit likely won't post until 2021. In that scenario, will the credits posting in 2021 count towards my 2020 allowance since they were for 2020 charges? Or will it simply deduct my 2021 allowance since the date at that point will be 2021 (i.e., amex's systems aren't smart enough to recognize the end-of-year distinction). I'd gather similar scenarios come up close to the end of every year but normally I'm very proactive and don't slack off like I did this year so I don't have the benefit of prior firsthand experience
I had UA designated as my airline of choice last year for my Aspire. On Dec 31st 2019, I realized I still have $130 credit unused so around 11:20 PM I buy two United Club day passes for some hitherto unspecified future use. The transactions don't post until January 1 - so they ended up counting as part of 2020's airline credit. Then the pandemic brings a halt to all travel plans for the year so I have not had a chance to use those passes either

#tldr - do not try using AMEX airline credit on the last day - will just count as next year's credit by the time it posts.