FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:24 am
Aliksander

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
. . . or at a later date at the passenger's convenience subject to availability . . .

Originally Posted by Dselvan
I thought so too KARFA. Will see what happens. Thanks
The EC261 text is pretty definite - after a BA cancellation, the passenger can choose to fly at a later date. The only restriction mentioned is "subject to availability".

BA reps have stated several times in this and other threads that a ticket can only be amended to dates within 365 days of the original issue, but this is a restriction on ticketing, not on the customer's right to fly. I believe the origin of the restriction is an IATA rule which is intended to block ticketing the right date but the wrong year.

With the permission of the BA back office a new ticket can be issued, with a new PNR for a date beyond 365 days from original purchase. Alternatively the passenger can buy a new ticket for cash for their preferred date of travel, and reclaim the cost from BA under EC261. I can understand that BA don't want to do this, but if the passenger insists, I don't seen how BA can refuse - surely MCOL or CEDR would overturn such a refusal.

Can anyone from BA comment?