FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will Canada Follow Hong Kong With 21 Day Quarantine
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:06 pm
skybluesea
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by yvrcnx

I am not saying one or the other way is right or wrong but the government can only do so much and we as adults do have resonsibility as well. There is no way we'll be able to control everyone and everything unless we want to change to a system as can be found in a country like China.
Unfortunately, if your statement of adults acting with responsibility were true & adhered to, then the mortality rate in North America and Europe would resemble East Asia / South Pacific.

For example, Hong Kong has repeatedly acted with conviction and pre-emptively, despite having only +/- 150 deaths in a country with 7.5 mil. pop. By comparison, the Province of Quebec (where I have close family) with similar population to HKG is running +8,100 deaths. These facts speak for themselves - what HKG is doing appears to be working - Quebec NOT!

Sorry, but I must also disagree with you advancing the fallacy that we need to be like China - without repeating my detailed posts on this Forum that identify the mortality rates in East Asia/ South Pacific as compared to the US (and I purposely leave out China), much more can be done in the West as has been done in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Australia & New Zealand.

A medical professional friend of mine in the US calls what is going on "negligent homicide", when similarly wealthy countries are achieving lower mortality rates in the range of 25X-3,300X less than the U.S.. Canada only 2-3X lower than U.S., while Italy and U.K. inching up close too. The reason I raised this Thread was to ask the question? Will other countries follow in the face of what is clearly success elsewhere.

The views by Transpacificflyer are absolutely correct, and respectfully, let's NOT make excuses for weak politicians who are unable to demonstrate the back-bone necessary to lead the community away from the currently failing path.